Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Lost No. 3

So, this is a personal painting I've been working on for the better part of a year, but I can never seem to finish it. I open it up once in a while, work a little on it, get bored/distracted and then I go do something else and forget about it for a couple of months. And I don't understand why. I believe it could be a very good, if not great, painting, a painting that might redefine my style...

Inspiration for this one is the art of Lauren K. Cannon and Thien Bao, who are more or less polar opposites when it comes to colours and techniques, but what they share is a love of the weird, birds and the female form.

With this painting I am trying to push my colours and develop my storytelling-techniques. I have no idea if I'm succeeding :P

Firstly, I'll show you my inspirations and references, which I haven't done so far, I think. It's kinda weird, seeing as references are very important to my process...oh, well. I shall strive to do better!


Broken Flame by Thien Bao.

Mek by Thien Bao.

Bloodstone by Lauren K. Cannon. See what I mean by polar opposites?

Mhegoriah by Lauren K. Cannon

Rhumii by Lauren K. Cannon.

And, now for my painting which I've titled Bird Lady or some such. Hooray for imaginative titles!

Preliminary sketch to establish pose and light source. I decided on two,
the blue being the primary and the the yellow the secondary.

The idea is slowly taking shape...I see beewb!

Bird skulls are awesome!...alright, all skulls are awesome! Unless
they're printed on a hipster T-shirt :P

Changed the eyes.

Colours!

The head dress and secondary skulls have gotten more definition,
and I've added more colours.

Trying to blend the colours and add texture to form a background.
The secondary light source has finally come into play. Pushed the shadows further,
and started on the bird. Also, nipple! As if you didn't notice...



Aaaand this is where I left off. Don't really know where to go from here and the damn feathers keep killing my motivation. I love feathers, but they're a effin pain in my posterior to paint! Hood's hairy balls, I really want to finish this thing!


 - Tattersail, out...


No comments:

Post a Comment